I Yam What I Yam (Sweet Potato Appetizer)
From Pat Smith
- 2 medium yams or sweet potatoes. unpeeled, scrubbed
- 2 egg whites
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Slice yams into ¼-inch thick rounds or “medallions.” Since peeled yams turn brown quickly when exposed to air, transfer them to a bowl of cold water until you’re ready to proceed to the next step.
- Pat yams dry using paper towels. Combine egg whites and garlic in a large bowl. Add yams and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, cheese, basil, and rosemary. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip yams over. Bake another 15 minutes until tender.
Makes 4 servings.
Hint: Try dunking these in your favorite low-fat ranch-flavored dip!