Cold Garden Vegetable Soup Serves 4
(Recipe from Betsy Reddaway, originally from Marmie Trask, 1970?? )
I think it serves more, especially if served as first course. It’s very crunchy.
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 6 Tbl. Poultry stuffing (seasoned bread stuffing)
- 2 c. Tomato juice or V-8 Juice
- 1 bouillon cube, dissolved in ½ cup hot water
- 1 onion, grated (I put onion, cut up, in food Processor with some tomato juice)
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. A-1 sauce
- chopped chives (for garnish)
- 8 ice cubes (optional)
- curry-flavored mayonnaise
Combine oil, poultry stuffing, tomato juice or V-8 Juice, dissolved bouillon cube, celery, onion, and cucumber. Chill.
Before serving add peeled and chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, and A-1 sauce.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Put 1 or 2 ice cubes in each bowl. (optional)
Put soup in bowl, float a dollop of curry-flavored mayonnaise on top, and sprinkle with chopped chives.